This dish started with a recipe for chicken tortilla soup and ended up as a soup lacking both chicken and tortillas. I always seem to put my own spin on things...
No-Chicken No-Tortilla Soup
- 2 cans of beans
- I used what I had on hand: 1 can of black-eyed peas and 1 can of kidney beans. Black beans or chili beans would also be great choices.
- 1 can of Mexicorn
- Half of an onion, diced
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne powder
- About half a cup or so of chicken broth
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Avocado, chopped and drenched in lime juice to prevent browning
- Limes, cut into wedges
- Drain the beans and Mexicorn.
- Dump the beans, Mexicorn, and diced onion into your slow cooker.
- Generously sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Add however much cayenne you can handle!
- Add vegetable broth to your desired level of "soup-iness." I'm more of a chowder/chili person, so I tend to go lighter on the liquids.
- Stir again.
- Cover, and let the slow cooker do its thing for 8-9 hours on low.
- Before serving, top with cilantro, avocado chunks, and a lime wedge or two.